Look whoo’s one….

It is hard to believe that I am sitting here with a one year old daughter. This past year has been a whirlwind to say the least. I am overwhelmed with a plethora of emotions as we celebrate my daughter’s first birthday.

She is a miracle.

She was prayed for many  years by several people.

She is our miracle.

We almost lost her while I was in labor.

When I found out I was pregnant it was one of the greatest emotions I have ever felt until I met her.

October 14, 2012 was the day this crazy labor journey began. We had just finished dinner with my parents and were settling in on a Sunday night. I had one week left of work before I was to begin my maternity leave and 8 days before my due date.

I began contracting. We timed it. Every four minutes, we felt it was time go into the hospital.

As I was being monitored and waiting for the doctor, two nurses came rushing in. They had me lay on my left side and put on a oxygen mask. I was panicking for my precious unborn daughter. My husband was panicking for my life. We had no clue what was going on. What seemed like an eternity (probably in reality a few minutes) they took the oxygen mask off my face but continued to have me lay on my left side.

A few minutes later one of my doctor’s came in to announce that she was inducing me because Adalynn’s heart rate dropped to 65 bpm.

Her heart rate plummeted and they put oxygen on me to bring her heart rate up.

Her heart rate was normally 145 bpm, it cut more than in half in that instance.

I was petrified.

I was told if her heart rate did this again we would go in for an emergency c-section.

I was moved into the labor room where the next 48 hours would move too slow and too scary.

October 15 was a very uneventful day. They maxed me out on pitocin. They did other things. My body would not budge. My precious baby wanted to scare us but didn’t want to come.

October 16 they broke my water around 9am. The contractions intensified. My precious baby became uncooperative, her heartrate started to take a dip into the low 100s. The nurse had me lay on my left side with my leg in this one strange position. It lasted for hours. They kept increasing the dosage of pitocin. My contractions were intensifying. I caved and got an epidural. If only I could have moved with each contraction I would have been okay but instead I had to stay still like a sack of sand.

With each strong contraction, Adalynn’s heart rate plummeted. A nurse basically stationed herself in my hospital room (terrifying for me because I know they don’t just stand in a room for a long period of time).

A different doctor came on staff and monitored us. It was decided my precious miracle baby could no longer take the contractions with pitocin. She was in distress. They were worried about her cord.

I was prepped for an emergency c-section. Before I even knew what was happening I was in the OR.

I remember laying awake on that hospital bed and wanting so badly to know that my baby was going to be okay. This was not the labor I wanted or envisioned.

I remember my body started  not being able to handle the medicine and my entire upper half of the body was shaking. I wasn’t cold or nervous and could not control the shaking. My wonderful husband was holding my hand as they cut me open.

At 7:56 pm, I heard the most magical sound of my entire life. My precious 6 pound 2 ounce 19 1/2 inch baby was crying. My husband was able to cut her cord. I could hear him repeatedly saying, “You are so beautiful. You are so beautiful.” I could hear the tears in his voice. My husband was in love.

My husband brought my beautiful baby to me and I remember kissing her. I remember falling more in love than I ever thought possible.

My husband left the operating room with his brand new daughter in his arms. I was left in the OR to be stitched up.

In recovery, I got to hold my daughter for the very first time. Joy, unspeakable joy.

I remember my husband taking off her clothes so that we could be skin to skin. I remember nursing her and having no clue what I was doing. I remember that first latch, that feeling that let me know she was latched. I remember her doing the crawl they all talk about. I remember it is as if it happened today.

We eventually were into our hospital room where we ended up staying for 4 extra days. I ended up being in the hospital for 6 days. 48 hours in labor and 4 days in the hospital with my daughter. I had an epidural headache and it took several days before I received a blood tap.

When we were discharged, I remember the nurses commenting how they weren’t use to seeing a baby so old leaving their hospital.

My, oh my, how the past year has passed way too quickly.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s